The original building at 162 N State St, known as the Butler Building, was designed by architect Christian A. Eckstorm in 1924. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago converted it to student housing at the end of the 20th century and opted to significantly expand the building’s footprint with a 17-story addition.
The historic building received restoration and repairs to its cream-colored terra cotta facade. The addition was clad with glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC) panels. It was designed in a structural grid to reference the surrounding 19th-century facades while bringing a more contemporary look and feel to the site.
162 N State St
Chicago, IL 60601